MENU

Monday, April 24, 2017

“My Friends” by Ali Power

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
April 24, 2017
 

My Friends

 
Ali Power
illustration

About This Poem

 

"I wrote 'My Friends' for my friends, specifically for my friends who are poets. The lines 'the furniture is covered / in bluets' and the appearance of table water crackers are nods to the James Schuyler poem 'The Bluet.' Schuyler so often put his friends in his poems, something I've always loved about his poetry and others of the New York School poets from whom I learned to see poetry not as a hobby or an occupation, but as what Carter Ratcliff calls, 'a certain modus vivendi, a way of life.'"
—Ali Power

 

Ali Power is the author of A Poem for Record Keepers (Argos Books, 2016). She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

Poetry by Power

 

A Poem for Record Keepers

(Argos Books, 2016)

"When I Was a Glacier" by Emily Skillings

read-more

"Sailing Bones" by Alan Felsenthal

read-more

"Fifty-Three" by Eileen Myles

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-a-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment