MENU

Monday, May 22, 2017

“Doctrine" by sam sax

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
May 22, 2017
 

Doctrine

 
sam sax
illustration

About This Poem

 

"I wrote this poem at The MacDowell Colony after finding myself in a conversation about political art vehemently arguing for something I later realized I don't necessarily believe in. While I'm primarily interested in artists whose work reflects the times, this poem is trying to figure out what exactly I mean when I say 'necessary' or 'urgent' poetry and to think through language's 'use' and 'utility' in writing and beyond."
—sam sax

 

sam sax is the author of Madness, winner of the National Poetry Series and forthcoming in 2017 from Penguin Books. He has received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, Lambda Literary, and The MacDowell Colony. He currently lives in Brooklyn, New York.

 

Poetry by sax

 

Madness

(Penguin Books, 2017)

"Taking My Father and Brother to The Frick" by Derrick Austin

read-more

"not an elegy for Mike Brown" by Danez Smith

read-more

"Disarming of Shadow, Arming of Light" by Rachel Eliza Griffiths

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-a-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment