MENU

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

"how to say" by Safia Elhillo

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
June 13, 2017
 

how to say

 
Safia Elhillo
illustration

About This Poem

 

"This poem is the first time I've put down in writing the scary thought that I may no longer be fluent in Arabic, my first language and mother tongue. And while it is a space to mourn, it is a space to also take ownership of my hyphens, of the hybrid worlds and languages I live in. I chose the ghazal as its form for its ancientness and lineage, a reminder that I came from somewhere as I strike out into new worlds."
—Safia Elhillo

 

Safia Elhillo is the author of The January Children (University of Nebraska Press, 2017). She is a Cave Canem fellow of Sudanese origin and lives in Washington, DC.

Poetry by Elhillo

 

The January Children

(University of Nebraska Press, 2017)

"Arabic" by Naomi Shihab Nye

read-more

"Nomenclatures of Invisibility" by Mahtem Shiferraw

read-more

"We All Return to the Place Where We Were Born" by Oscar Gonzales

read-more

Help Support Poem-a-Day

 

Poem-a-Day is the only digital series publishing new, previously unpublished work by today's poets each weekday morning. The series, which features a curated selection of classic poems on weekends, reaches 450,000+ readers daily. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

Advertisement
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment