MENU

Monday, August 6, 2018

"Green pincushion proteas" by Gabeba Baderoon

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
August 6, 2018
 

Green pincushion proteas

 
Gabeba Baderoon
Gabeba Baderoon reads "Green pincushion proteas."

About This Poem

 

"I spent last year in Cape Town and each weekend visited my mother and slept in my childhood bedroom. One day I brought her a bunch of proteas and the extraordinary experience of seeing her remember the green proteas from our garden four decades ago stirred my own childhood memory and prompted the writing of this poem. My mother's family had been 'removed' the year before I was born. 'Removal' is the clinical term the apartheid government gave to uprooting Black people from their homes and discarding them in distant, infertile parts of South African cities. In a way I was born into my family's loss. The fate of the green proteas in the poem conveys my parents' ambivalence about their new house, which only became a home to them after 'removal' lost its sorrow, and yet it was the first place I belonged."
—Gabeba Baderoon

 

Gabeba Baderoon is the author of The History of Intimacy (Kwela Books, 2018) and The Dream in the Next Body (Kwela Books, 2005). She is the co-director of the African Feminist Initiative and an associate professor of women's, gender, and sexuality studies and African studies at Penn State University. She lives in State College, Pennsylvania.

 

Photo credit: Adine Sagalyn

more-at-poets

Poetry by Baderoon

 

The Dream in the Next Body

(Kwela Books, 2008)

"Poem for South African Women" by June Jordan

read-more

"Central America in My Heart" by Oscar Gonzales

read-more

"In the First Place of My Life" by Ray Young Bear

read-more

August Guest Editor: Evie Shockley

 

Thanks to Evie Shockley, author of semiautomatic (Wesleyan University Press, 2017), who curated Poem-a-Day this month. Read more about Shockley and our guest editors for the year.

Help Support Poem-a-Day

 

If you value Poem-a-Day, please consider a monthly donation or one-time gift to help make it possible. Poem-a-Day is the only digital series publishing new, previously unpublished work by today's poets each weekday morning. The free series, which also features a curated selection of classic poems on weekends, reaches 450,000+ readers daily. Thank you!

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment