MENU

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Poem-A-Day: William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act II, Scene I [Over hill, over dale]

with 0 comments
Academy of American Poets

July 28, 2012

Today's poem appears in A Midsummer Night's Dream, published by Signet Classics.

More from this author




Other Shakespeare Poems

  • Antony and Cleopatra, Act II, Scene II [The barge she sat in, like a burnish'd throne]
  • As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII [All the world's a stage]
  • As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII [Blow, blow, thou winter wind]
  • Hamlet, Act I, Scene I [Some say that ever 'gainst that season comes]
  • Hamlet, Act III, Scene I [To be, or not to be]

  • You can unsubscribe from our Poem-A-Day emails at at anytime—either completely, or until next April.

    Academy of American Poets
    75 Maiden Lane
    Suite 901
    New York, NY 10038
    212-274-0343
    academy@poets.org



    A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act II, Scene I [Over hill, over dale]
    by William Shakespeare

    A wood near Athens. A Fairy speaks.

    Over hill, over dale,
    Thorough bush, thorough brier,
    Over park, over pale,
    Thorough flood, thorough fire,
    I do wander every where,
    Swifter than the moon's sphere;
    And I serve the fairy queen,
    To dew her orbs upon the green:
    The cowslips tall her pensioners be;
    In their gold coats spots you see;
    Those be rubies, fairy favours,
    In those freckles live their savours:
    I must go seek some dew-drops here
    And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
    Farewell, thou lob of spirits: I'll be gone;
    Our queen and all her elves come here anon.

    Share Digg StumbleUpon Facebook E-mail to Friend

     

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment