MENU

Friday, November 30, 2012

Poem-A-Day: A Ditty by Sir Philip Sidney

with 0 comments
A Ditty 
by Sir Philip Sidney
 

My true-love hath my heart, and I have his,
By just exchange one to the other given:
I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss,
There never was a better bargain driven:
   My true-love hath my heart, and I have his.

His heart in me keeps him and me in one,
My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides:
He loves my heart, for once it was his own,
I cherish his because in me it bides:
   My true-love hath my heart, and I have his.


Today's poem is in the public domain.

About this poem:

Today is Sir Philip Sidney's birthday.

Poetry by Sidney
The Major Works
Write to poemaday@poets.org to nominate your favorite 2012 Poem-A-DayVotes will be tallied and broadcast in the December Poets.org newsletter!
November 29, 2012

Born November 30, 1554, Philip Sidney is one of the most important literary figures of the Elizabethan Age.
Related Poems
by W. B. Yeats
by Sir Philip Sidney
by Geoffrey Chaucer

Poem-A-Day started as a National Poetry Month program in 2006, delivering daily poems from newly-published poetry titles.

 

Due to popular demand, Poem-A-Day became a year-round program in 2010, featuring original, never-before-published poems by contemporary poets on weekdays, and classic poems on weekends.

 

Browse the Poem-A-Day archive for selections since 2010. 


Thanks for being a part of the Academy of American Poets community. To learn about other programs, including National Poetry Month, Poem In Your Pocket Day, the annual Poets Forum, and more, visit Poets.org.  
This email was sent to prentice654.allsms@blogger.com by poetnews@poets.org |  
Academy of American Poets | 75 Maiden Lane | Suite 901 | New York | NY | 10038

0 comments:

Post a Comment