MENU

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Poem-A-Day: Blue Is Beautiful Amy but the Story Is So the '90s by Farrah Field

with 0 comments
Blue Is Beautiful Amy but the Story Is So the '90s
 

 

I wanted to be the one who thought of truck bed walls.

You locked yourself in the bathroom

so I couldn't brush my teeth before bed.

Where is this going and will it be successful? I hate bullies.

She's been everywhere she even heard

the shot that killed John Lennon.

From now on I'm sticking up

for myself. My notes and to-do's have flowers.

I don't want to die. I feel scared all the time.

What you looked like as a child is clear.

The way you run from the hot tub

and throw yourself in the pool.

When they were joining the EU.

I worry about mine.

Have you ever seen your own cervix?

You're like a natural matzoh ball maker.

Why did I ever want to be in the couple

with the white walls three shoes and lots of art.

Scarves from museum shops.

I sat your kid on my counter

and we spilled food everywhere.

The nickname grandchildren give is the one you die with.

Everyone wanted to see a movie where the woman turns to stone.

They say Maria Falconetti never acted again.

The gym was impossible after I fell on my knee.

I walked up to you and cried.

Why do you treat your son better than your daughter.

Talk about something else like did anyone ever call you bro.

 

  

Copyright © 2013 by Farrah Field. Used with permission of the author.  

About This Poem
"In response to Krzysztof Kieslowski's film Blue, I wonder why Juliette Binoche's character doesn't finish her masterpiece with the help of a woman. Why does she have to have a lover? I mean sexual release is necessary, I get it, but what if an empathetic female friend broke through the grief? I consider this--women needing women--in my poem. Sadly, I couldn't think of a nickname I like that only women give each other, such as 'bro,' which many guys I knew in the '90s were calling each other.
 

--Farrah Field

Most Recent Book by Field

(Four Way Books, 2012)

 

July 31, 2013

Farrah Field's second and most recent collection of poems is Wolf and Pilot (Four Way Books, 2012). She lives in Brooklyn, New York, where she cohosts the event series Yardmeter Editions.
Related Poems
by Marie Howe
by Mark Doty
by Jason Shinder
Poem-A-Day
Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-A-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on 
weekdays and classic poems 
on weekends. Browse the 
 
 




 
Thanks for being a part of the Academy of American Poets community. To learn about other programs, including National Poetry Month, Poem in Your Pocket Day, the annual Poets Forum, and more, visit Poets.org.
 
This email was sent to prentice654.allsms@blogger.com by poetnews@poets.org |  
Academy of American Poets | 75 Maiden Lane | Suite 901 | New York | NY | 10038

0 comments:

Post a Comment