MENU

Friday, January 31, 2014

Poem-A-Day: Today a Rainstorm Caught Me by Matt Hart

with 0 comments
January 31, 2014
Today a Rainstorm Caught Me
by Matt Hart

 

Today a rainstorm caught me

and I still have not recovered

myself with drier blankets

The brown leaves blowing

off the trees, squirrels

and robins cheering them on, but not

 

cheering me     And anxiousness has an owl

by the throat, has me pill-popped up

to Heaven Hill, head spinning one hundred eighty

degrees, looking to the past and the future

for some news about the present

 

which of course is useless     Even I know that     Mean-

while, Agnes upstairs plays with Grace--

the little neighbor girl--not the idea of unmerited

forgiveness in light      The two of them make up

words to no music or to My Fictions

and The Saddest Landscape

 

Sometimes it's hard to say which,

no matter how hard I pretend to listen

I am no expert at thunder and lightning

I am no expert at eggbirds and ghost-

typing the air to remember a song

 

Today a rainstorm caught me up

The rain came down, and it still comes down

The rain comes down is all I know

 

about how sometimes life finds me stupid on the porch

with a couple of empty beer bottles,

humming and waiting for god knows what, some

warm weather to calm me, a few minor thoughts

All these days, reasons end somewhere

 

The water still rolls with an owl in its blood

We reverberate through it very softly

 
 
 

Copyright © 2014 by Matt Hart. Used with permission of the author.

About This Poem 

"This poem is pretty mysterious to me. I literally hobbled in out of a rainstorm (I'd been running), and wrote a draft of it, trying not to drip water on my computer. Earlier that afternoon, Agnes, my seven year-old daughter, had written 'eggbirds' in something she was writing, and I'm sure that made me think about owls. The poem seems to me a writhing thing, full of weird expectancy, and 'fraidiness,' and hopefully, too, a little love."

--Matt Hart

Most Recent Book by Hart





(H_NGM_N Books, 2013)

 

 

 

 

Poem-A-Day
Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-A-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. Browse the Poem-A-Day Archive.  
 

Matt Hart is the author of five books of poetry, most recently Debacle Debacle (H_NGM_N Books, 2013). He lives in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he teaches at the Art Academy of Cincinnati and plays in the band Travel. 


Related Poems
The Writer
by Richard Wilbur
Rain  
by Claribel Alegría 
by Farid Matuk 
__________________________

Love reading Poem-A-Day?
Help support it today.
 



 
Thanks for being a part of the Academy of American Poets community. To learn about other programs, including National Poetry Month, Poem in Your Pocket Day, the annual Poets Forum, and more, visit Poets.org.
 
This email was sent to prentice654.allsms@blogger.com by academy@poets.org |  
Academy of American Poets | 75 Maiden Lane | Suite 901 | New York | NY | 10038

0 comments:

Post a Comment