MENU

Monday, February 13, 2017

What Would Gwendolyn Brooks Do by Parneshia Jones

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
February 13, 2017
 

What Would Gwendolyn Brooks Do

 
Parneshia Jones
illustration

About This Poem

 

"When Gwendolyn Brooks wrote Hold On at the bottom of a photograph she put in my hand, and red marks all over the three poems I had to my name, it anchored me in a real time of need. It was the first and only time we met and she anchored me. I see a world moving into uncertainty and I think about Ms. Brooks, those two anchor words she gave me, and I continue to Hold On for dear life."
—Parneshia Jones

 

Parneshia Jones is the author of Vessel (Milkweed Editions, 2015). She is the poetry editor and sales and community outreach manager at Northwestern University Press. She lives in Chicago.

 

Photo credit: Susan Aurinko 

 

Poetry by Jones

 

Vessel

(Milkweed Editions, 2015) 

"The Lovers of the Poor" by Gwendolyn Brooks

read-more

"Epithalamion" by Rickey Laurentiis

read-more

"from Citizen, VI [I knew whatever was in front of me was happening]" by Claudia Rankine

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-a-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

Advertisement
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment