MENU

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

“Aubade” by Camille Rankine

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
April 19, 2017
 

Aubade

 
Camille Rankine
illustration

About This Poem

 

"I wrote this poem at a time when our country's characteristic brutality (and racism and misogyny and bigotry) was displaying itself with relentless frequency, and we were constantly being asked to be brave, or being lauded for our bravery. When I say 'we,' I suppose I mean black women. It's not just us, but that's the we that I especially belong to. Black women are expected to be strong always, and we so often are. But isn't that exhausting. I was tired, I think, when I wrote this."
—Camille Rankine

 

Camille Rankine is the author of Incorrect Merciful Impulses (Copper Canyon Press, 2016). She teaches at Brown University and Columbia University and lives in New York City.

Poetry by Rankine

 

Incorrect Merciful Impulses

(Copper Canyon Press, 2016)

"Nearing Dawn" by Jorie Graham

read-more

"sisters" by Lucille Clifton

read-more

"Sci-Fi" by Tracy K. Smith

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-a-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

Advertisement
Advertisement Advertisement
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment