MENU

Monday, May 1, 2017

“Under the Stars" by Dorianne Laux

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
May 1, 2017
 

Under the Stars

 
Dorianne Laux
illustration

About This Poem

 

"I was teaching a class in Provincetown when I got a phone call at 4 am. If we're old enough, we know the news is never good at that time in the morning. After I hung up there was nothing but the thick quiet of the trees. What's not in the poem is that I stepped out in my slip and picked up an old, three-legged chair that had been abandoned on the porch and threw it over the balcony where it shattered. That chair became the stars in the poem that I did look up to. It was the only thing I could do."
—Dorianne Laux

 

Dorianne Laux is the author of The Book of Men (W. W. Norton, 2011). She teaches at North Carolina State University and in Pacific University's low-residency MFA program and divides her time between Raleigh, North Carolina, and Richmond, California.

 

Photo credit: John Campbell 

 

more-at-poets

Poetry by Laux

 

The Book of Men

(W. W. Norton, 2011)

"I Saw the Devil with His Needlework" by Bianca Stone

read-more

"Ode of Girls' Things" by Sharon Olds

read-more

"A Family History" by Julia Spicher Kasdorf

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-a-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. If you enjoy Poem-a-Day, please consider making a donation to help make it possible.

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment