MENU

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

"I Hear America Singing" by Walt Whitman

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
July 4, 2017
 

I Hear America Singing

 
Walt Whitman

About This Poem

 

"I Hear America Singing" was published in Leaves of Grass (David McKay, 1891-92).

 

Walt Whitman was born in 1819 in West Hills, Long Island, New York. He worked as a printer, teacher, and journalist in New York City throughout his life. In 1855, Whitman self-published Leaves of Grass, which he continued to revise throughout his life. He died in 1892.

 

more-at-poets

Poetry by Whitman

 

Walt Whitman: Poetry and Prose

(Library of America, 1982)

"Wild Nights—Wild Nights! (249)" by Emily Dickinson

read-more

"Teach me I am forgotten by the dead" by Ralph Waldo Emerson

read-more

"My life has been the poem I would have writ" by Henry David Thoreau

read-more

Help Support Poem-a-Day

 

If you value Poem-a-Day, please consider a monthly donation or one-time gift to help make it possible. Poem-a-Day is the only digital series publishing new, previously unpublished work by today's poets each weekday morning. The free series, which also features a curated selection of classic poems on weekends, reaches 450,000+ readers daily. Thank you!

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment