MENU

Monday, November 13, 2017

"Headwind" by Amber Flora Thomas

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
November 13, 2017
 

Headwind

 
Amber Flora Thomas
illustration

About This Poem

 

"I grew up walking the headlands in my hometown of Mendocino, California, so the precipice is a place I know well. Then there's my tendency toward worry, which I inherited from my mother and her mother, and so on. When I find myself in love, I inevitably end up crossing through this childish phase, when I worry my beloved will not return to me for any number of terrible reasons, chief among them that I am not lovable. And as a person who has lost friends and lovers over the years, I know that love reaches beyond the physical and is, in fact, endless. I guess I wanted to acknowledge that truth through this poem."
—Amber Flora Thomas

 

Amber Flora Thomas's most recently published book is The Rabbits Could Sing (University of Alaska Press, 2012). Her new poetry collection, Red Channel in the Rupture, is forthcoming from Red Hen Press in 2018. She lives in Washington, North Carolina.

more-at-poets

Poetry by Thomas

 

The Rabbits Could Sing

(University of Alaska Press, 2012)

from Oracles for Youth by Caroline Gillman

read-more

"Circuitry" by Janine Joseph

read-more

"The End of the Pier" by Nicole Callihan

read-more

Poem-a-Day

 

If you value Poem-a-Day, please consider a monthly donation or one-time gift to help make it possible. Poem-a-Day is the only digital series publishing new, previously unpublished work by today's poets each weekday morning. The free series, which also features a curated selection of classic poems on weekends, reaches 450,000+ readers daily. Thank you!

Advertisement
 
Advertisement
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment