MENU

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

"Poem in Which I Only Use Vowels" by Paola Capó-García

with 0 comments
View this email on a browserForward to a friend
June 12, 2018
 

Poem in Which I Only Use Vowels

 
Paola Capó-García
Paola Capó-García reads "Poem in Which I Only Use Vowels."

About This Poem

 

"I like writing list poems because I'm interested in insistence and association via language. I rarely plan my poems or start with notes, but I wanted to create a list of ideas for poems I would never actually end up writing—a list of scenarios that felt like familiar expectations of poems (e.g., flowers, prettiness, wisdom) and some that mapped out my own anxieties about poetry. I wanted a claustrophobic poem that also felt open and endless, where the speaker's identity could shift and shift and shift."
—Paola Capó-García

 

Paola Capó-García is a poet and translator from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Her book Clap for Me That's Not Me, winner of the 2017 Black Box Poetry Prize, is forthcoming from Rescue Press this year. She is the cofounder and editor, with Maria Flaccavento, of littletell and lives in San Diego.

"Words" by John Keene

read-more

"A Short Note to My Very Critical and Well-Beloved Friends and Comrades" by June Jordan

read-more

"If you look closely enough at a word, you'll find it contains its opposite*" by Stephanie Gray

read-more

June Guest Editor: D. A. Powell

 

Thanks to D. A. Powell, author of Repast: Tea, Lunch, Cocktails (Graywolf Press, 2014), who curated Poem-a-Day this month. Read more about Powell and our guest editors for the year.

Help Support Poem-a-Day

 

If you value Poem-a-Day, please consider a monthly donation or one-time gift to help make it possible. Poem-a-Day is the only digital series publishing new, previously unpublished work by today's poets each weekday morning. The free series, which also features a curated selection of classic poems on weekends, reaches 450,000+ readers daily. Thank you!

Advertisement
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment